POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : reflections, trace and isos : Re: reflections, trace and isos Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflections, trace and isos
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Jan 2002 05:37:03
Message: <3C3D6ECB.36B29487@gmx.de>
Tom Melly wrote:

> I was using trace on an iso last night, and I got to wondering how this works,
> given that the iso-surface has not yet been created. I figured it out (I think),
> and I assume that the same solution applies to reflected isos. My question is,
> when isos or similiar are reflected, is any of the information re-used, or do
> all appearences of an iso in a scene require that all calcs. are redone from
> scratch?
>
> Hope that makes sense.

I don't think so.  ;-)

Tracing an isosurface always works the same way, no matter if it's
directly visible, visible as reflection or you use 'trace()' in your
scene.

A trace of an isosurface never reuses information of a previous one, this
is of course a point of possible improvements, but right now that's just
the way things work.

Note that megapov had problems using 'trace()' on isosurfaces since some
parts of the isosurface intersection routines were not initialized at
parse time yet.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>